Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bow Wow

I am a sucker for bows, but not just any bow. My love goes out to cartoonish oversized bows. Minnie Mouse would be excited over the big bow turbans featured at the Diane Von Furstenberg resort 2010 runway show. My mom, Beth of Style Redux, has more confidence than I do when it comes to donning wonderful hat and hair accessories. She does it with the greatest of ease. You've all seen her hat collection. Maybe if hair accessories became more of an everyday trend like ripped boyfriend jeans then I'd sport huge hair bows left and right. Headband sales have soared thanks in large part to Upper East Side's Blair Waldorf of Gossip Girl, but people still need time to warm up to the idea of bigger accessories. At least I'm hoping. You may agree that these bows look darling on the runway, but wonder if you'd ever step out into the world wearing one... 


Aside from a fancy soiree or party, where else can you don such a fantastic accessory? I'd love to someday spot a woman walking around Georgetown with a big black bow atop her head. Her hair would be pulled back and she'd wear black oval rimmed sunglasses. She completely owns her look and doesn't see the point in holding back. Her confidence is alluring. This is how trends catch on. You see someone on the street, in a restaurant, on a blog with a refreshing and unique look. Suddenly you're intrigued by a new fashion trend, perhaps one you never imagined yourself being drawn to. 

With a little bit of investigating I've found a few delectable headbands that are-- a. oversized, b. amazing!, and c. affordable. But first, take a peek at some pretty looks from DVF's latest show. 

DVF Resort 2010 










Visit Hopelessly Devoted at etsy. This bow is made from Dupion silk and comes in a variety of colors. Tres chic! 




12 comments:

  1. Admittedly, I totally love it :) Great post, pretty bows and outfits~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog!

    "Chris is Starving!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never be that brave (couldn't wear the Lapin hair piece from the other post either), I just couldn't pull it off. But I dislike small accessories in general, I prefer BIG or nude (only not for the head, unless it's a hat). I know who will wear the oversied bow, though: Amy Winehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Klassen- I'm glad you like it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolina- Oh, and there's Aretha Franklin and Lady Gaga--love her hair bow! I'm not that brave either. Maybe one day though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love DVF. As for bows, I'm just not a fan of anything in my hair. In fact, I'm not really a fan of DOING much with my hair either (which is why it's been short since I was 20). It's odd, I love clothes, accessories, makeup, home decor, etc., but I've never gotten into hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Averill- I don't do very much with my hair either. I like to keep it simple, but all these creative hat/hair accessories tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those hair bows look good on some people, but not on me. LOL :) Too big for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love oversized bows!! I just posted some pics from the Felix Rey look book and it's filled with big bows, it reminded me of your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. TPWP- Oversized bows are one of my all time favorite accessories in fashion. I love how Lady Gaga rocks her hair bow, even when she sleeps!

    ReplyDelete